1. This mug was the very first Glass Mug introduced by Shulton, in 1948, and was manufactured by T. C. Wheaton Company in Millville, New Jersey. It features the “Ship Friendship” and is the only Old Spice glass mug without any ribs around the interior bottom. It was designed for a 5.0 ounce soap cake. Dimensions are 2.75" high X 4.5" rim to handle.
2. This mug variety predates all the more common glass mugs and was produced by the A. E. Hull Pottery Company in Crooksville, Ohio beginning in 1941. It features the “Ship Friendship” and is definitely more primitive than the latter glass versions. They can often have slight factory imperfections which were commonly found on pottered items. It was designed for a 5.5 ounce soap cake. Dimensions are 3.0" high X 4.5" rim to handle.
3. This mug is identical in appearance to the first glass mug listed except for the presence of three interior ribs. These were only produced for a few brief months before being quickly replaced by the six rib design which can be found on all the Old Spice soap mugs from that point through 1992. It has a 5.0 ounce soap cake capacity. Dimensions are 2.75" high X 4.5" rim to handle.
4. This mug was produced starting in 1964 and features the “Ship Grand Turk Salem – 1786” and was designed for a 3.75 ounce soap cake. It is beautifully displayed with the text opposite the handle and the ship’s image on either side. The Late Glass mugs differ from the Early Glass mugs in that they have a lip around the rim. Dimensions are 2.25" high X 4.5" rim to handle.
5. This mug was the last of the so called Early Glass Mugs and was produced between 1961 and 1964. They were the last mugs without the characteristic lip around the rim. They were designed for a 4.0 ounce soap cake. Dimensions are 2.25" high X 4.5" rim to handle.
6. Repeat of #5.
7. The final mug is the only Old Spice mug to feature two ships, the “Ship Grand Turk - Salem – 1786” and the “Ship Recovery – Salem – 1794”. This mug was designed to hold the smallest sized cake at 3.0 ounces. It was manufactured starting in 1978. Dimensions are 2.25" high X 4.5" rim to handle.
Old Spice® is a registered trademark of Proctor & Gamble. This website has no affiliation with either company and is simply a reference for dating their mugs.